Recently in homeschool, I’ve been learning about how to speak and listen effectively (or, a lot better). My mom is a public speaker, as well, so she teaches me a lot on the subject. I know not everyone has this opportunity, so I want to share 5 ways you can speak and listen more effectively.
1. Plan and research well When you give a speech, you want to sound like you know what you’re talking about. It is best to research your topic, instead of basing it on your opinion. When practicing your speech, you can time yourself so you are right on time.
2. Be prepared for any questions your audience (family, friends, school, church etc.) may have After you give a talk, it is normal for your audience to ask questions. This is called a Q& A session (question and answer). To be prepared for questions, have a list of left over information that you might be asked about.
3. Have good posture and body language It is important to look alert while you talk. If your back is slumped and your leaned up a desk, you will look lazy and careless, while if you are standing up straight and talking in a loud, clear voice, you will look and feel energetic and full of emotion.
4. Stay on topic (don’t ramble) For me, it’s hard to stick to the topic when I have so many things to share! When you stray off topic, you sound disorganized and unknowledgeable. Something that helps me prevent rambling is to think about exactly what I’m going to say before I say it.
5. Talk in a LOUD, CLEAR voice and look at those whom you’re speaking to It is important to be clear, so you can be better understood. It is also essential to make direct eye contact with the audience. This makes them feel like they’re part of a conversation. One of my worst habits was looking at my feet while speaking, but doing these things helped me.
Thank you for reading 5 ways to speak and listen more effectively! Please tune in for more posts and be sure to subscribe!
What do you do to speak and listen more effectively?