Today I want to talk about 5 excellent reasons to drink coconut water. I remember many hot summer days in my mom’s country, the Dominican Republic, where we enjoyed eating the fresh fruit from the coconut and drinking a glass of coconut water. Needless to say, it’s always a heavenly experience.
The coconut has many uses, the flesh (the fruit part) is amazing to eat by itself or in desserts, coconut oil is used for cooking, and lately, many people are going from sports drinks, soda, and water to coconut water.
Why? Coconut water has many more benefits, and healthier, which is not a quality sports drinks possess. I have never had sports drinks or soda, since our family chose to adopt a “no caffeine” rule at our home, but if you are a sports drinks and/or soda lover, I encourage you to consider these facts:
- Coconut water contains electrolytes, which help prevent muscle pain, and keep the body hydrated and energized.
- Coconut water is a tasty alternative to water, and it contains the 5 important minerals for health: potassium (like bananas), magnesium (like avocados), calcium (like almond milk), sodium (like salt), and phosphorus (like sunflower seeds).
- Coconut water has cytokinin, which protects cells from aging and cancer. It’s a real “fountain of youth” in a bottle!
- Coconut water helps you digest and absorb the nutrients in your food.
- The acid content in coconut water is anti-bacterial (it fights bacteria) and anti-viral (it prevents viruses). It boosts your immune system by helping it fight infection, disease, and sickness. When you’re healthy, you can be happy. With good health, you are able to do more because you’re feeling well.
On the other hand, energy drinks and soda give you a quick boost (because of caffeine) but then leave you feeling drained afterwards. It does not leave a real lasting effect. They provide no real nutrients or health benefits because they are made up of mostly artificial flavors, caffeine, and sugars.
After looking at this list, I hope you’re feeling intrigued to try coconut water. It has all these benefits and more! When you cut out caffeine and carbonated drinks, I can promise you that you will feel more energized, and alert. When you have more energy, you can focus and do better in your schoolwork and be more active in sports.
Are you ready to make the switch to coconut water?